TAKE – idioms
“Dan, have you heard the news?”
“Denise is having a party on Saturday! And it takes place at her parents’ new holiday house.”
“How do you know that?”
“Steve told me yesterday.”
“And do you take what he boasts for granted?”
“Why not? You know he was her boyfriend.”
“They have just broken up. He thinks she is the guilty one.”
“Hmm… you know what they say… it takes two to tango…”
“The point is… the girl has what it takes. She has a rich family, she is beautiful…”
“You can bet on that! When I saw her for the first time, she took my breath away. And she’s alone now!”
“Ed! Take care! She’s not for you!”
“Well, let me take care of this. Listen, if you can get me an invitation to her party, I’ll write all the reports for you. For the rest of the year! And… I’ll take the floor at the meetings.”
“Oh, boy! What an offer!”
“Take it or leave it!”
“Ok, ok… let me work on it.”
“Take your time. But be sure I have the invitation on Saturday.”
“It takes all sorts to make a world…”
- Take care = a fi atent
- Take care of = a avea grija de
- Take for granted = a lua de bun, a nu pune la indoiala
- Take it or leave it = accepti sau nu (neconditionat); alta solutie nu ai
- Take one’s breath away = a soca pe cineva; a-l face sa i se taie respiratia
- Take one’s time = a nu se grabi (sa faca ceva)
- Take place = a avea loc
- Take the floor = a lua cuvantul
- It takes two to tango = unele lucruri necesita mai multe persoane ca sa se intample (zicala) (situatii negative)
- It takes two to make a quarrel = intr-o cearta fiecare poarta o vina
- It takes all sorts/all kinds to make a world= Mare ti-e gradina, Doamne!
- Have what it takes = a avea ceea ce se cere (abilitati, inteligenta…)
- What it takes = tot ce e necesar/nevoie
6 thoughts on “TAKE – idioms”
This example is very practical!
It is true!
I like this method!
Multumesc! Foarte bine explicat.
OK! This example is very practically!
“practical” – we need an adjective here, not an adverb 🙂 It characterizes the noun “example”.
If you like the method, I’ll try to do it again.
Very useful. Thank you
din nou foarte explicita!